FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Tuesday, June 01, 2004

More on the Infield Fly

I was alerted to this story on mlb.com regarding the play I blogged about. My understanding and from talking with folks in the press box is that the story is incorrect. Beltran did have to go back to first since the ball was touched per the infield fly rule ("or retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball"). That means that Jones did not have to tag Beltran but merely step on first. The double play is not awarded since the ball was dropped which constitutes a "misplay" per the rules ("unless an error or misplay intervenes between putouts").

I also see that Sweeney's RBI was taken away and that Mientkiewicz was charged with an error to account for Relaford scoring on the play.

I did like the comment by Mientkiewicz though.

"I think I'm mentally dumber now than I was before the game. I know less about the game now than I did before this game started."

No comments: