FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

One if by land...

Just a quick story today. Last Friday night I took my daughter, brother-in-law and my niece and nephew to the Rockies/Nationals game at Coors Field. Just as the game was starting six or seven guys filed into the row behind ours, all of whom appeared to work for the same company.

Among the contingent were two Brits who were apparently attending their first baseball game. Now, I don't want to be too mean to their co-workers but the American sitting next to one of the Brits was attempting to explain the game much of the time and unfortunately left the Brit, I think, more confused than when he got to the park.

His buddy told him among other things that batting average was calculated as taking hits + doubles + triples + homeruns and dividing by at bats, that runners did not have to tag up on a fly ball, and that errors did not count as at bats. After a few innings the American gave up I think and the rest of the game the Brit was left to interpret for himself, which in the end was probably a good thing.

No comments: