FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Sunday, August 28, 2005

That Curious Emil Brown and Stringing

I've gotten a few reader comments about my articles on Emil Brown and being a Stringer posted on The Hardball Times and wanted to address them.

First, as Rich Lederer points out, although in my Emil Brown article I've included catcher on the far right side of the defensive spectrum technically it should be there since the idea behind the spectrum is that players can move to the left on it easily and to the right with difficulty. Catchers, of course, don't move to the left easily (to SS, 2B, CF, etc.). Instead, they jump over the middle and usually land at 1B and DH. Some have made the switch to RF or LF like Brian Downing but that's kind of hit and miss with someone like Todd Hundley being a big miss. Anyway, an excellent point.

On the Stringer article several readers ask how and where pitch location is entered. I failed to make it clear in the article that I enter the pitch location and pitch type into the client application for each pitch. In KC I would usually watch the TV monitor so I could be more accurate. In Denver the monitors are actually behind me and so I simply watch from angle which is less accurate, especially for high and low.

Thanks for reading and keep the comments coming.

3 comments:

Luis said...

I know this is a comment on an old article-but re speed as a leadoff man and chuck tanners using a fsat guy instead of a guy who sould get on- Billy Martin led off wi Mike hargrove for just that reason

Luis said...

ok- went to retro sheet and could not find anywhere that martin used hargrove in the leadoff spot-bad memory-BUT i did find tha Ken Singleton was the 1975 leadoff man for Bal-so SOME people knew it then

Dan Agonistes said...

Another correction is that I mistakenly thought that the "Bill Bean" in my last table was Billy Bean, the current GM of the A's.

It isn't. It is Bill Bean (http://www.baseballreference.com/b/beanbi01.shtml) who played from 1987-1995.